No eth1 wireless

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue May 15 15:17:13 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:
>> > The "check cable" message is just a carry-over from pre-wireless.  It
>> > means that the wireless can't establish a link level connection.  With a
>> > wired connection, this is equivalent to having a working cable in
>> > place.  Thus, "check cable."
>>

> It's still a silly message.
> It's a pity Fedora error messaging doesn't make any effort
> to send people to a place where they might actually get useful advice.
Yes, but at the point the message is reported the software only knows
that the physical transport layer is borked.  It doesn't know what that
layer is.  Instead of "check cable" the best you could get would be
something like "check physical transport layer" or "no transport layer
connection" which wouldn't be much more helpful.

I pointed the original poster at the thread discussing how to get an
Intel Pro Wireless 3945 working (what lspci reports his system has).  It
looks like there are a number of hoops to jump through to make it work
that are specific to the 3945.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce