install without physical media or pxe?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:33:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 07:46 -0700, Tom Spec wrote:
> Is it possible for me to install Fedora without DVD/CD, USB Key,
> Floppy or PXE server if I already have an existing (older) Fedora
> installation running?
>
> Specifically, can I download the ISOs to my HD, then somehow get grub
> to throw me into the first ISO when I boot my machine, so that I can
> then start a new installation?
>
> --

Yes.
A. Copy the ISO files to your local drive. Make sure they do -not- sit
on an LVM/MD partition.
B. Copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img (from [1]) files into your /boot.
C. Add a new entry to your grub.conf:
title Fedora Core Upgrade
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz
    initrd /initrd.img
D. Reboot.

- Gilboa
[1] For i386:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/isolinux/
[2] You might want to replace root (hd0,0) with what-ever-value you
already have in your grub.