Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 15 21:28:01 UTC 2007

G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> I'd like to disagree with Rahul's harsh tone here.

Harsh? There isn't a single harsh thing in there that I can spot out.
Can anybody?

> Contributing takes many forms, and even the complaints are sometimes useful.
>
> I take the time to test installing packages and their interactions, even if
> I don't use some packages.  I like doing installs and I have the time to do them.
> I'm no longer a good programmer, but I have the ability to read thru anaconda
> and other things and make suggestions. I have the time to file bugzilla tickets
> and respond to them.  That is my contribution, as minimal as it may seem.

Bugzilla reports are very *useful* form of complaints (which are more of
constructive feedback to the right people) but that doesn't even have a
representation in threads like these usually. My problem is not even
that people are complaining. It is that people are complaining in places
where nobody who can fix the issues are involved.

> The harshness of Rahul's tone is much too common in the Fedora community, and
> is part of the "failing" we face and need to correct. IMHO of course.

Harsh would relying on a system and constantly be negative about
undermining the work that people do in their own time. Don't do that and
discourage others. Find a system that is more suitable to what you want
and help make that better.

Rahul