Fedora and Qwest

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed May 16 20:14:32 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:07:38 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>

>> You may want to check to see if the Windows machine is still doing
>> DHCP to get its information. Even though he has a static IP address,
>> the modem may still be configured to use DHCP, and provide a static
>> IP address that way. If you are using PPPoE, I would still expect
>> the same setup - you connect as if you were getting a dynamic IP
>> address, and always get the same static IP address as your DHCP lease.
>
> "They say" that it is using a standard DHCP request, but frankly I'm not
> convinced that they even know what DHCP is.  Anyway, one of the first things
> that I tried was a DHCP request and it returned nothing at all.  I tried it a
> few times, actually, with no response whatsoever.

One thing to be careful about is that you use the same NIC for all
the tests. Just about every Cable/DSL modem I have run into will
"remember" the first NIC it gave the DHCP lease to, and will not
give one to a different NIC unless you power-cycle it. Not a problem
if you are using a dual boot machine, but it can be fun when you set
things up using a laptop running Windows, and then try to connect
your Linux server (or even a router if you do not clone the laptop
NIC) to it. I have run into this because in my area the DSL
providers require you to run a Windows program to generate the user
name/password and configure the modem.

In any case, if it gave out the lease to one NIC, it tends to ignore
any other NIC trying for a DHCP lease until the original lease
expires. (It was working fine before I plugged in the router. If I
take the router out, it works again. The router is junk!)

Mikkel