Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu May 17 10:55:16 UTC 2007

On 2007-05-15, 16:45 GMT, William Case wrote:
> I use Fedora because I like the thought that it is cutting
> edge, etc. What I would like to know is: Are the contributions
> of users to fixing Fedora picked up by other distributions
> and/or up the line for applications?

Whatever other people think about Red Hat being a corporate
behemot, I can testify, that in a Red Hat training I heard on my
ears high-level engineering people to stress repeatedly and very
forcefully, that any patch we make and solution we find for
a bug, should be immediately send upstream. Which I think is one
of the things which differentiates us against many other Linux
distributions. That's not bashing of Ubuntu and/or SuSE -- they
have their reasons for being what they are, just that I can
confirm that even inside Red Hat there is strong official stress
on upstreaming everything reasonable.

Matej