Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:22:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 09:21 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 00:55 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 14:23 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > > Another thought about how things could be improved: make yum capable of
> > > rolling back to undo it's last update.  Then unless yum itself breaks or
> > > you can't boot even to the saved previous kernel, you could be
> > > adventurous with installing new code without too much danger of killing
> > > your system completely.
> >

> > Smart seems to do that wonderfully. It's one great app and I much prefer
> > it to yum. I just wish I could contain it's behavior when it tries to
> > dnload the Internet at once. I think I'll just go a bitch about it
> > upstream! That's for you, Rahul! Ric
> >

> Ok, I finally have to say it. I find smart hard and confusing to use.
> yumex works far better for me.

Once you have your repos set up and it is running at that basic level,
you select the repos you want smart to consider and it's off and
running. Select update to do the update or use the find feature (which
is where it excels), then pick the repo you want to fetch the package
from. If it has dependencies, it'll show you a list. Click on the gears
to make it happen, after click-select the packages from the repo you
want. The interface is initially strange, because it is not literal with
every option spread out over a toolbar, but makes perfect sense (IMHO)
once you have used it a few times. Just try the "find" feature a few
times and you'll get the hang of it.

The more I mess with it the more I like it best, as a complete idiot
that finds all of the command line yum options way too mentally
demanding and SLOW when it comes to updating the repo data. Ric