How to rename a lvm volume group

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 04:04:14 UTC 2007

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> I'm not sure I'd care for random ones, some can be awkward to type.  But
> I'd go along with an idea that you name your computer early in the
> install sequence, and that name is used with drive partitions labelling
> and volume group names.  Dual drive systems could prompt for a second
> drive name.

I tend to find myself upgrading fedora by disconnecting the old drive,
putting a fresh one in the system and doing a clean install.  This way
if I forgot to save something important I still have it on the old
drive.  The problem comes when I need to put the old drive in.  If the
old drive's lv was named by the hostname I'd be back to where I
started.

Well, ok, I did type the lv/lg names once for the other disks when I
put them in /etc/fstab, but even if it was a weird string I needed to
cut and paste that would still be a lot less work than downloading a
live CD iso, burning it to a CD and then booting it just so I can
rename the logical disks.

-wolfgang
Hints for ipv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html