flash drive mounted under root

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Fri May 18 22:31:14 UTC 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 02:28, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> damned, it is driving me crazy. /var/log/messages says
> "mounted /dev/sda1 on behalf of uid 501" This is my uid!!! I mount the
> drive, but the root appears to be the owner and I have no write access!
> I even made /media world-writable - no difference.
> Where are these freaking hal rules located? I want to fix this manually.

Listen, people, I don't want to give the impression that I'm some sort of a
smug bastard, but this afternoon I nuked my hard drive, reinstalled XP into a
bit bigger partition than before, then installed Dapper Drake.

I plugged in a USB flash drive and it "Just Worked" like FC5 used to do for me
a few days ago.

Also transferred a picture file from my phone via Bluetooth, like I used to be
able to do with FC5 up until a couple of months ago. Need to add normal users
to the appropriate groups to get USB mass storage, CD and audio to work for
them, but it's quite easy to do and I guess that's done for data security in
office environments.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408