kdenlive solved!!!

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat May 19 05:00:31 UTC 2007

On Fri May 18 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
> It's kinda like smart, I just have to dink with it to make stuff happen.
> smart is easy as heck once you see it actually DO stuff... it's reaching
> the "grokking" stage that I need to get to with kdenlive. Have you found
> THE video package for Linux yet?? If anyone has it would be you! blag is
> doing some good stuff other there. The Fedora Team would do well to
> watch his devel.

I don't know - Smart works really well. I'm sure there are issues, but, I run
a lot of stuff, and enable and disable lots of repos to get things I need,
and Smart hasn't failed me in a long time. I like the fact that it's fast, by
the way - the multiple downloads of files really makes it fly and I haven't
run into the problem you described except rarely - I see it as a feature, not
a problem... '-)

So far as video goes, there are Cinelerra, PiTiKi, Avidemux, Kino, Jahshaka,
and Kdenlive - there's also an older one called Lives. None of them
are 'there', so far as my experimentation has shown.

I'm currently working on a project in Sony Vegas on my laptop, which I don't
use all that much, but, I've been able to get it to do everything I need, and
between clicking around and the occasional peek at the manual, I've been
working for hours. My usual system is a DPS Velocity - now, that's a system -
really fast, really intuitive, and it just grinds out a show, week after
week, going on nearly 8 years now, and it's still not obsolete, though,
obviously superceded by more capable systems now available. But, nothing in
Linux comes close, yet - I think it will - the time is coming, but, right
now, all the stuff I've tried is just too buggy, or not capable, or
tortuously slow.

Last night, just for grins, I opened the project files up I'm working on right
now, on my Linux box using Kdenlive - I was surprised. The files were
recorded as dv files using an avi wrapper with Sony Vegas on my Windows
laptop to an NTFS external USB drive. I just plugged the drive into my Linux
box, opened Kdenlive, and loaded them right onto the timeline, and they
played - I didn't try any editing, because time was pressing. But it was a
nice surprise - you sure couldn't do that with Cinelerra.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA