sound question

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sun May 20 15:48:52 UTC 2007

My computers are running FC6 and gnome.  One of them, A, is connected to
the stereo.  Everything works fine on A but I want to control the sound
remotely, from B.  So, while logged on to B, I ssh to A and start up
xmms.  I get the message:

"Couldn't open audio (on A).  Please check that your soundcard is
configured properly, you have the correct output plugin selected, no
other program is blocking the soundcard."

I get this error only if no one has already logged on to A directly,
without having gone through ssh.  If someone is logged on to A (at A)
and then I ssh from B to A and start xmms, it plays normally.

Why is this and is there some workaround?  Thanks for the help!

Jerry