Windows -> Linux

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 17:58:24 UTC 2007

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Don Russell wrote:
> MS money is abot the only app I have left on a Windows machine that I
> could otherwise convert to Linux.
>
> I found a FAQ that asks about "equivalent Linux programs", and this list
> was given as replacements for MS Money:
>
> GnuCash, KMyMoney, jGnash, MoneyDance, Grisbi, PLCash, Crossover
>
> Obviously I've not used any of these... does anybody have a recommendation?

I've never used MS Money, so I can't answer for similarities.
GnuCash is a very good application, but to get the best out of it you really
need to understand double-entry book-keeping.  If you're not used to that,
I'd avoid GnuCash.

MoneyDance is said to be good, but I don't know its interface.  I've heard
good things about KMyMoney, but I've never used it.

I'd look for websites, where you should be able to get a flavour of each.  I
think someone said the MSMoney files can be imported into some of these
applications.  Again, do your research well before you start.  You'll save
yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Anne