Checkbox for "Install Everything"

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 22:32:01 UTC 2007

From: "Norm" <maillist at sios.ca>

> Alan Cox wrote:
>>> Somewhere it seems to have fallen by the wayside.
>>>
>>> Can we please, Please, **___PLEASE___** have that option back for F7?
>>> It
>>> makes installation so much easier and faster...
>>>

>> Oh no it wouldn't. Everything would be all of FC7 (the seperate extras is
>> gone). It would haul in a zillion weird and wonderful obscure apps, some
>> very large, and it would cause problems with conflicts between
>> "either/or" package choices.
>>
>> Selecting all the groups offered is intended to be a sane "all the stuff
>> you are likely to want" option, that fits in actual normal disk/time.
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Apart from the obvious issues such as security and space a wide open
> install everything could cause other issues.
> On a very old box that I use for a test bench I have tried installing
> ldap and each time I do it wipes out user passwords even before I
> configure ldap.  I have not been able to find a second newer box I can
> give it a try on to see if it is an isolated issue on a box that is
> nearly too old to run FC6.  If I did an install everything on this box I
> would never be able to get it running also as the box is light in the
> Ram department havening too many unnecessary services running would
> further complicate my problems with the box.
> If not having an install everything option saves one person a reinstall
> the inconvenience of having to think for a moment about the packages you
> need seems a small price to pay.
> Also in terms of band width the instal everything approach may be
> questionable.  Generally I use a fresh install when I upgrade, I have
> found a minimal install requires only 2 cds and I can later update
> online only with the packages I want.  I am sure this requires less
> bandwidth in total than install everything and then do the updates to
> everything.

Now TAHT is getting to the more correct argument, Norm. Congratulations.
Having services you do not need RUNNING is a serious problem for security
if nothing else. What I used to do with the everything install is select
that button then trim out things I did not want. It was an easier and less
tedious option. However, with everything crammed into one as it seems to
be now with 7, that path to nirvana may be quite impractical.

What we need to stifle this winge on the part of people who think they know
better is a button that reads, "I am a suicidal maniac, have more ram and
disk than God, and really really think I know what I am doing so install
everything and let me sort it out. I promise I will not complain when the
hamsters in my computer give up the ghost."

{^_-}