Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon May 21 01:59:58 UTC 2007

At 08:03 PM 5/20/2007, Les wrote:

<LH>>>>>What woudl you define as "Everything", and what mechanisms would
you recommend for the rest of us?<<<<<

Personally I'd define "everything" as, well, everything ... and not
"everything that someone else decided I might need".

I really don't mind taking up the disk space.  Disk space is cheap as I am
reminded every Sunday when the sale flyers from CompUSA, Staples, and
Circuit City come out.

I don't care that there will be several gigabytes of things there I'll
never use.  I'd much rather do that than run into some obscure inability to
install or run something because something else is missing.

There ought to be a way to do that without having to concede that conflicts
are inevitable.  Otherwise, how is Linux ever going to truly break into the
mainstream?

Eric Poole
Burgoyne, Nolet & Poole, Inc.
www.bnpconsulting.com