Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon May 21 05:44:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 22:27 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Ric Moore" <wayward4now at gmail.com>
>
> > On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 15:17 -0700, jdow wrote:
> >
> >> When Fedora happened laziness crept in, with some justification, and the
> >> good button went away. Not only that but by methodically clicking away
> >> when you really don't know about the conflicts can get you into trouble.
> >> I do it anyway. When I have spare time I like to explore some of the more
> >> obscure things this action puts onto my system. I learn that way. And
> >> while learning is painful, having learned is a sublime experience.
> >>
> >> {^_^}
> >>
> > --
> > Does your man know how good he has it? If he doesn't, smack him up side
> > the head for me. <grins> Ric
>
> Nah, he is one of my chief resources. He has experience with computers
> going back as far as mine and FAR more intense for the first 15 years.
> (He wrote several of the Burroughs/UniSys "MCP" programs, yea, Master
> Control Program. He's still with UniSys. He understands operating systems
> guts at a level I'll never reach. And he has a proper old timer's disdain
> for whippersnappers who think they know it all and go ahead to prove they
> don't.) He also knows more of the guts of XP and probably some aspects of
> Vista than most folks not captive at Microsoft.

Wow! Tell him that I had a Unisys 5000/90 (surplus and cheap!) and I'm
stilling looking for one in the Raleigh area, no fooling. I miss that
old beast and just have to have another one to play with. I like
blinkylights, streaming tape and the whir of the huge fans that sez,
"Hey! Seriously working here, bud!" The power co. meter damn near threw
it's spindle bearings it spun so hard. Just let me know who has one and
I'll haul it off for them and give it plenty of clean current to eat in
it's semi-retirement.

It booted MCP from a small drive, then you mounted the 4 250 lb 1/2 gig
harddrives one at a time, (drawing 60 amps at 220V) and then mounted the
tapes to tar install to the drives. All I needed was a lab coat.

I met a few nerd girlz and all I had to do was whisper "Wanna see my
mainframe?" <eyebrow waggles> Worked like a charm it did. I had a ball
with it. Ric