(fedora) Re: ntpd error

Lux Zhang yuanlux at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:48:12 UTC 2007

On 21/05/07, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> [...]
> >> ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [FAILED]
> >> Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]
> >>
> >> how to fix this?
> >>

> >> the conf file reads as
> >>
> >> # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
> >> # permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
> >> restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> >>
> >> # Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
> >> # be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
> >> # the administrative functions.
> >> restrict 127.0.0.1
> >>
> >> # Hosts on local network are less restricted.
> >> #restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
> >>
> >> # Use public servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
> >> # Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
> >> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 2.pool.ntp.org
> >> server asia.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 0.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 1.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> >> server 2.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> >>
> >> #broadcast 192.168.1.255 key 42         # broadcast server
> >> #broadcastclient                        # broadcast client
> >> #broadcast 224.0.1.1 key 42             # multicast server
> >> #multicastclient 224.0.1.1              # multicast client
> >> #manycastserver 239.255.254.254         # manycast server
> >> #manycastclient 239.255.254.254 key 42  # manycast client
> >>
> >> # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
> >> # and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
> >> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
> >>
> >> # Drift file.  Put this in a directory which the daemon can write to.
> >> # No symbolic links allowed, either, since the daemon updates the file
> >> # by creating a temporary in the same directory and then rename()'ing
> >> # it to the file.
> >> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> >>
> >> # Key file containing the keys and key identifiers used when operating
> >> # with symmetric key cryptography.
> >> keys /etc/ntp/keys
> >>
> >> # Specify the key identifiers which are trusted.
> >> #trustedkey 4 8 42
> >>
> >> # Specify the key identifier to use with the ntpdc utility.
> >> #requestkey 8
> >>
> >> # Specify the key identifier to use with the ntpq utility.
> >> #controlkey 8
> >> server 127.127.1.0
> >> restrict 0.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> >> restrict 1.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> >> restrict 2.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> >> restrict asia.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> >>

> >Some kind of firewall blocking that connection?
>
> Got the same on some (NOTE: not all, although ntp is configured in exactly
> the same way) of my machines. The problem started probably after some
> update
> (which??). I already tested switching off the firewall on the machine, but

This problem seems testing with ip lookup. I got ip addresses of
0.pool.ntp.org  from another cable network (dig 0.pool.ntp.org). After add
one of ip addresses of 0.pool.ntp.org to /etc/hosts.  the ntpd server was
contacted and time sync -ed. I guess this has something to do with ISP.

hope this help.

                 Jouk