FC6 sound gone

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:12:05 UTC 2007

Christian Menzel wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I got REALLY desperate, I'd powerdown, unplug the card, reboot, let
>> the system deal with no sound card for a bit, making sure
>> that /etc/modprobe.conf was empty of sound card module info (or better
>> yet comment them out) then shutdown and carefully re-insert it, reboot
>> and Voila`! Woot! ...der it is! The hardware dingus would automatically
>> detect and install it brand new. It's a bit *ExTrEmE* but worked for me
>> in a royal pinch when I was at wit's end. Ric
>> --
>
> Well, this weekend I was THAT desperate removed the soundcard and
> cleaned modprobe.conf.
> After reinserting the card it was detected and the entries in
> modprobe.conf where made automatically.
> But - still no sound!
> Everything is like it was before. Now I really wait for the FC7 re
> installation.
> I'm afraid I will never solve this mystery.
Jeez, what kind of soundcard is it? IRQ conflict might not be out of the
question. If you're still desperate, jerk more cards out to see if that
resolves a possible conflict. What kind of mo-board and processor, how
much ram?  I assume you have checked the mixer, got the speakers plugged
in,? Plugged into the "speaker out" and not the "mike"? (I've done
that!) They are turned on and the volume about halfway up.

If it's a good ole ISA SoundBlaster AWE64, they have mentioned that
support has been dropped and it takes a bit of wrangling to get one to
work. Ric