Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 21 22:50:23 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>> I take it you don't understand the concept of multiuser machines where
>> users don't have the root password.  You know - the environment unix was
>> designed for...
>
> Incorrect.  I understand that quite well.
>
> In addition to what I'd previously said:  If you're a company that
> writes programs, and you don't have competent technical staff on-site
> that can handle installing what needed, you're a business in a seriously
> precarious position.

OK, assume that you are that competent staff person.  What would you
install, and how many peoples' time do you need to waste deciding what
to leave out?   Better yet, suppose you were installing a shared college
lab computer for general purpose use where anyone might walk up and do
any kind of work.  How do you decide which of the things included in a
new FC distro that you haven't used yet will be needed there?  The real
question here is: can you make those decisions better than the people
who just decided which programs should be in the distribution and why?

> I take the meaning of a programmer as someone who writes programs.  If
> you mean some data entry monkey, then why would they be installing extra
> software?  That's like asking the receptionist to install new lines for
> the PABX.

What software is 'extra' and what isn't? Not installing the packages
people need ahead of time is like waiting until a call comes in to
string those wires.

> Installing everything, and the kitchen sink, is a rather incompetent way
> of going about things.

If it saves time to have them installed, it saves money. If installing
them does harm to something, they shouldn't be in the distribution.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com