KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue May 22 12:45:28 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm running dovecot on my desktop,
> and running kmail + IMAP on my laptops,
> specifying the desktop as IMAP server
> (the idea being to keep email on the laptops in sync).
>
> This has always had problems with kmail hanging,
> and now it has become completely unusable.
>
> I think the problem is that /var/spool/mail/* on the desktop
> has become too large.
>
> Does one really have to keep email in mbox format in this directory
> if running an IMAP server?
> Is IMAP incompatible with maildir format?
>
> Is anyone actually running a system like this?
> If not, how do you keep email on different laptops in sync?
>
> I used to share ~/Mail under NFS,
> and that seemed to work reasonably well,
> but I was told by my betters that I should use IMAP.

Honestly. I have never been able to get Kmail to play nice with IMAP, so
I gave up and went to Thunderbird.  I like KMails 'Outlook' style
features, but stability was such a problem, I stopped trying.  i use
IMAP at my office and can get all my mail from either OS on my laptop,
or my home computers without any trouble at all.

--
Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico
fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support