KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue May 22 13:31:42 UTC 2007

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:43:16 +0100, Andy Green scripst:
>> Some people who didn't claim to be better also advised dumping kMail and
>> its particular constellation of bugs... eg, for Thunderbird...
>
> In my experience kmail's dIMAP is much more stable than TB's IMAP.
> Although the latter's is done right from the point of view of IMAP RFC
> (having different styles of accounts for disconnected v. online IMAP is
> not correct, of course), it has never lost a message to me, comparing to
> horror I had with Mozilla Mail/Thunderbirds of many versions.

Well, not having tried dIMAP I can't enter into much of a flamewar about
it.  However I can say Thunderbird IMAP has been almost completely
bug-free for my IMAP server for more than a year, and I tend to leave
the app up and connected to the server for days and weeks.  The only
behaviour I've seen it do is after a while somehow fail to draw the mail
body, once it does that it seems persistent and Thunderbird must be
restarted.  But because I have the IMAP port going through an SSH
tunnel, and the 3945 wireless for this box is a bit shaky, even that
might be down to the tunnel.  In addition I saw many crashes and
problems with kMail's non-d IMAP for sure.  The two experiences combined
make me drop kMail, which I actually prefer, for Thunderbird.

But remembering last time I had this conversation ;-) let me hasten to
assure you I fully accept that your experience was different, perhaps
due to the disconnected IMAP usage and some other variable on the
Thunderbird side.

-Andy