Disc Crash (LVM vg00/lv00 twice, how to recover?)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 22 21:38:44 UTC 2007

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Oh, no - you may say - not again ...
>
> My FC4 system disc (under LVM) had a glitch overnight.  It had enough
> intelligence to reboot and run fsck which cleaned the disc but left it
> unbootable.
>
> One new system disc later, with FC6.  I really need to mount the old
> /home in order to get user profiles and so on, if it is sane enough.
> But because it isn't a simple partition, 'mount' won't touch it.  How
> do I get it to mount ?  I know the VG is still there because 'vgdisplay'
> shows it on /dev/hdb2, but - being a system disc - it has the same
> name and contents VG00/LV00 as the current (new) system disc on /dev/hda2.
> Is this simply a name clash or is there something else I can fix ?
>
> Jonathan

This topic was discussed recently but I do not recall the thread it was in.

The user had to use the rescue media and activate or rename the lvm volumes.

Since I know little about lvm, I will save the steps for the lvm
familiar and append LVM to the subject.

--
When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.