KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 07:13:01 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Thanks very much for your help (and everyone else).
>
> I now have my system running with kmail + dovecot using maildir format.
>
> The setup is rather confused at present,
> eg I apparently have two inbox folders, Local Folders/inbox and IMAP/inbox,
> whose contents differ slightly but which seem to converge after a time.

That sounds as though you set KMail to use dimap.  I've never used it, but I
presume that mail from your imap inbox is copied across from time to time.

> Also the folders on my desktop and laptop are different.

They shouldn't be, except for local folders.

> But the system seems to be working - the mail is coming through,
> and kmail is no longer hanging (touch wood).

Good

> The changeover to the new format took a couple of hours.
> One of the problems might have been that I did not allow for this,
> and was trying to read mail during the transfer.

Not really a good idea :-)  but probably didn't harm much.

> I now have
>         mail_location = maildir:~/Mail/inbox
> in /etc/dovecot.conf .
> It didn't seem to like maildir:~/Mail
> or maildir:~/Maildir even though I created a Maildir directory.

My line is

default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir

> The old folders in ~/mail/ , which dovecot created in its mbox phase,
> are still there in mbox format.
> Hopefully I'll be able to import them to the new setup.

You can do this from the client.  If, for instance you have a fedora-user
folder, created a maildir folder next to it called 'fedora-user2'.  Drag
messages into the new folder.  I'd advise doing it in batches, rather than
hundreds or thousands at a time.  When you've got them all moved, delete the
old folder and rename the new one.

Anne