webcams, again

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed May 23 19:31:40 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>
>> and then I see the following in lsmod:
>>
>> lsmod
>>
>> Module                  Size  Used by
>> gspca                 643792  0
>> videodev               29633  1 gspca
>> v4l2_common            26945  1 videodev
>> v4l1_compat            16581  1 videodev
>> radeon                116065  2
>> drm                    78421  3 radeon
>> -----------   snip   -------------------
>>
>> I still don't see a /dev/video   but this appears to be a step forward
>> anyway.
>>

> It is.  Once your webcam is recognised the v4l packages will create video0.  I
> do wonder, though, whether you are trying to load the correct driver.  I say
> this because it's far from unknown for a model to change chipset part way
> through its life.  Have you tried a fair bit of googling, to see if others
> are using the gspcav driver and/or another one?
>
> Anne

Sane finds it:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x046d, product=0x0870 [Camera]) at libusb:002:004

as does lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse (4-button)
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

It appears to be the most common Logitech camera available in Walmart, etc.

When I've investigated in the past it always seems to come back to the
gspcav driver?

It will work on this computer if I boot XP, something that never happens but I know the hardware works.  It's mostly an annoyance, I have it and it should work.  I keep thinking well maybe with the next version of Fedora but it hasn't happened.

I believe this is the camera and if I understand this list he says this is the driver?
Do I have to also install spca561a?  This stuff is not very clear.

http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Logitech
54
0x046d