[Fedora] Re: bind lame servers

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri May 25 05:36:31 UTC 2007

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> "AMK" == Ashley M Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> writes:
>

> AMK> Yes, it's called Asia.  Several dozen IPs were querying my DNS
> AMK> non-stop.
>
> You should not allow recursive queries from outside of your network.
>
> I do this by having an internal view with a "match-clients" set to my
> internal network, and then later a default view with
>   match-clients { any; };
>   recursion no;
> although I suspect this is not the simplest way to accomplish this
> because it necessitates duplicating all of the zone declarations that
> are visible in both views.
>
>  - J<
I've been pretty happy with the following approach:

[root at fraud ~]# cat /etc/named.conf
acl "trusted" {
        localhost;
        192.168.0.0/16;
        72.19.169.230;
};
zone "local.davenjudy.org" IN {
        type master;
        file "local.davenjudy.org";
        allow-query {
                trusted;
        };
        allow-update {
                trusted;
        };
};

The allow-query clause means that anyone outside of my network get a
query refused.  The weird thing is that logwatch says I get a couple of
queries for internal boxes every day.  If someone is persistent, they
get a firewall rule in their honor.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce