Link file not opening on webserver

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 25 14:00:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 20:51 -0400, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 13:37 +0100, Paul Ward wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me how to link a file from from my home directory
> >> to /var/www/html so it can be a acccessed remotley.
> >>
> >> I used the following to link the file which worked fine.
> >>
> >>  # ln -s myfile /var/www/html/
> >
> > That's linking a file to a directory?
>
> No it's a link to a file, it's in that directory because the
> directory already exists. The file name will be myfile.

> BTW, does the OP have Apache configured to follow links?

When I try the above ln command on my machine indeed a file is created
in the directory. But if I go to the directory and do a ls myfile
I get an error as follows:

ls: myfile: Too many levels of symbolic links

The means-and-ends moralists, or non-doers, always end up on their ends
without any means. -- Saul Alinsky
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net