mail forwarding problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 25 16:17:07 UTC 2007

zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> I wanted to have the logwatch cron results mailed to me instead of root
> so I edited /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf to add this line:
>
> MailTo=SBlackwell
>
> Just for a sanity check
> $ whoami
> SBlackwell
> $ uname -n
> mylocalmachine
>
> <not really but just to show I checked that it matches the mail message>
>
> but root keeps getting returned mail saying
>
> <snip>

> sblackwell
>     (reason: 550 5.1.1 <sblackwell at mylocalmachine>... User unknown)
>     (expanded from: sblackwell)
>
> <snip>
>
> The thing that stikes me is that my user name got changed from
> SBlackwell in the conf file to sblackwell in the mail message.
>
> Anybody else seeing this? Any comments?
>
> Steve

By default, e-mail addresses are converted to all lower case. You
will have problems with mixed or upper case user names and/or e-mail
addresses. It is possible to reconfigure your mail local mail server
to preserve the case, but it would be better to change your user
name to all lower case. (Mixed case user names break a bunch of
specifications...)

Mikkel