chipsets and linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 27 02:21:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 15:15 -0700, Ada Ho wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the relationship is between Linux/Fedora and
> the chipset used on a motherboard?
>
> Is the architecture standardized so that it doesn’t matter what
> chipset is used or is running linux contingent on Having a particular
> chipset?

That'd be an issue with any OS.  If it uses something that the OS
doesn't know how to deal with, and doesn't come with drivers for it,
you're stuffed.  Having said that, I'm yet to come across one that
didn't work, but then I don't go buying the latest toys.

Certain peripherals, rather than the motherboard basics, are another
matter.  I've come across boards where the on-board modem, sound, video,
or NIC, just wasn't going to work.  Had that problem with Windows, too.

If you have a *specific* query, make it.  You might find someone with
experience with the same device who can comment about it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.