VLC plays only audio

Guo Lin golvin at gmail.com
Sun May 27 10:02:53 UTC 2007

I have problem with my VLC player. It played almost every type of video I
have some time ago, but now it doesn't anymore. Even common .avi cannot be
played properly - only the audio presents, the video track is there but VLC
doesn't read it.

I saw from somewhere (which I have forgotten where it is) that some having
the almost same the problem as mine run the command:
$ vlc -v --reset-plugins-cache
and solved their problems. so I gave it a try and these are what I have got
on my terminal:
VLC media player 0.8.6b Janus
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module
`/usr/lib/vlc/control/libcorba_plugin.so'
(/usr/lib/vlc/control/libcorba_plugin.so: undefined symbol:
mediacontrol_new_from_object)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module
`/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libffmpeg_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51:
undefined symbol: faacDecOpen)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module
`/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libfaad_plugin.so'
(/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libfaad_plugin.so: undefined symbol: faacDecDecode)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module
`/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so'
(/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so: undefined symbol:
NewHandleClear)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module
`/usr/lib/vlc/stream_out/libstream_out_switcher_plugin.so'
(/usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51: undefined symbol: faacDecOpen)
I do not understand what these could mean, and I tried to look them up from
the Internet but I couldn't find anything useful for me. Could someone
please help me to identify the error or tell me what should I do?

Here are the few examples of errors that appear when I play a .avi or .mkv
file:
[00000305] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `H264'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

[00000324] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

[00000375] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `avc1'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

[00000408] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `DX50'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

BTW, my VLC can still play mpeg. But I notice that when I have Beryl on,
whenever a visual effect appear within the player window, or I pan a bit the
playback, the video screen goes black. Same goes to Totem. I am not sure if
it is a separate problem or not, so I just mention it here as well just in
case they are related.