ntpd error

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 04:36:34 UTC 2007

"Vivek J. Patankar" <list307 at gmail.com> writes:
> /etc/services lists both port 123, TCP & UDP as the port for NTP.
> Seems like that information in /etc/services is misleading. What can
> be done to get it corrected? Bugzilla against the 'setup' package
> perhaps?

/etc/services lists the IANA allocations. 123/tcp is reserved for NTP,
but that doesn't mean that any NTP implementation is forced to listen
on that port.  (In fact, the official NTP's from Udel have never used
the TCP port.)

As an aside, I tend to use "netstat -an" to see what ports programs
are listening on.

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html