avahi-daemon, it's on, is it needed?

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Mon May 28 16:50:15 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have quite a few messages in my logs
> on my FC6 laptop concerning avahi-daemon, mostly related to
> NetworkManager and whether I'm running on a wire or running wireless.
> Some examples below:
> Not that I'm actively using IPv6, but it seems to be doing more than
> just ZEROCONF stuff for me (if indeed it is doing anything at all....)
>
> And, FYI, 00:07:00 was when I switched from my wire to my wireless last
> night (this morning).
Kevin,

I should have noted that I'm running servers with static IPs at runlevel
3 (no X Windows).  I'm not using NetworkManager, which (according to the
Wiki <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager>) provides
automatic network detection and configuration for the system.

It's probably a safe assumption that most people running Fedora as a
desktop are running NetworkManager, so I appreciate you providing a
response from that perspective.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions