Madwifi help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon May 28 18:59:41 UTC 2007

After careful research I ordered wireless PCI cards that were said to "work
out of the box".  When they didn't I realised that my vendor had said they
were out of stock.  They had been replaced by X-Micro cards, which are
atheros cards.  I've been following the madwifi instructions, and have got
the to part of setting WPA-PSK.  The final command listed in this section is

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -D
madwifi -iath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

or is it

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?

Either way, I just got dozens of lines of 'Invalid ESSID line' messages.

What am I doing wrong?

Anne