Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon May 28 20:55:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:33:22 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> it is about supporting fedora
> users and providing something that works for them.  It seems odd for
> that to be such a controversial topic.

The main problem is support for a "black box", as you have been told many times
before.

A side-effect of this is that people are incented to purchase and use products
from "cooperative manufacturers" when they wish to use Fedora (or any other
Linux distribution).  Personally, I use and recommend Intel motherboards
and video chipsets when anyone asks my opinion.  (I don't know about you, but I
get asked several times every week.)

I'm just one guy, and who cares about my opinion?  Apparently, folks around here
do. You can provide similar advice to the folks around your area who care about
yours. On a sufficiently large scale, the problem will eventually become
self-resolving as Nvidia and ATI and whoever-else will wake up and smell the
coffee and continue to sell video cards into the Linux market, or not.

Intel graphics currently work just fine out-of-the-box and will continue
to do so.  Nvidia's and ATI's don't.  Therefore, the correct decision is
obvious; if the purchaser doesn't research his purchase before putting his
money on the counter, whose fault is that?

"But it's a lot of money to spend to buy a new computer!"  Indeed, it can be.
The more reason to look into what you're buying before making the deal.

"But we already have one of these unsupported video cards in our old computer!"
Well, it's unsupported.  Your choices are to live with it or purchase a
supported card.  If you have a special wrench for a Chev you won't expect to
continue to use it if you get a new Ford.  If it will kind-of-fit on the
odd-shaped nut, then fine.  But if not, you have to get a new wrench to go with
the new vehicle.

My humble opinion.  You are, of course, welcome to disagree.  But I and many
others will continue to recommend supported video cards and steer folks away
from Nvidia and ATI as much as possible.  You are welcome to do so as well.