Press reports regarding "SB/BadBunny-A" virus

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:41:07 UTC 2007

On Monday, May 28, 2007 6:52 pm D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> The right fix is to the macro feature of Open Office.
>
> I seem to remember that this kind of vulnerability was observed and
> eliminated from troff over 20 years ago.

Okay, quick question: would you be willing to explain to a PHB why
OpenOffice.org works better than Microsoft Office when one has easy macros to
help them out and the other doesn't?

Yes, macros can be dangerous.  However, they are an expected feature of a full
office suite and therefore can't just be gutted out of the program.  And
thanks to the proliferation of Microsoft Office, the macro system has to
allow slightly more control over the system than is likely a good idea.