I love IP Tables....

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:38:38 UTC 2007

jdow wrote:

>> Are you saying vulnerability to viruses is acceptable and end users
>> are supposed to be smarter then the OS vendors in working around it?
>
> Good anti-virus protection, regular updates, and good malware protection
> for malicious scripts are all important for all operating systems.

Agreed on updates.

> AV
> for Linux is pretty much lacking.

There's no reason to expect a 3rd party to be able to improve it.

> However, something I've picked up sort
> of sideways is that ClamAV scanning of email is a handy way to tag some
> kinds of email that are perhaps not harmful to Linux but are annoying
> as they clutter the mailbox. I rather imagine an install of FC6 raw off
> the original ISO sources might not do too well if left alone on the
> network with no other protection than it comes with. It'd last longer
> than XP. But I rather suspect a naive "everything" sort of install
> would get you into trouble with too many daemons you don't need running.

Yes, you need to keep up with the updates.  What's "too many" daemons?
The point of having a computer is the services and often the remote
access it provides.

> There are defenses to setup. And I will note that the active anti-virus
> activities in the Windows world is a quicker way to protect your machine
> than to wait for updates. If crackers start seriously looking to crack
> security in Linux I suspect it will suffer its own "I wish I had a Linux
> AV tool" episodes. It's inevitable. Bugs are a feature of software unless
> that software has gone through more thorough checks than even what I see
> on the LKML. When there are an NP number of paths through the system over
> all preventing any possible cracking is not possible. Anyone who thinks
> otherwise about a system the size of a Fedora Core package is nuts.

There may be undiscovered bugs in Linux distros, but as they are
discovered there is no excuse for not fixing them in the product itself.
  What possible good can come from a third party product (just as likely
to contain even more unknown vulnerabilities) being used as a band-aid
solution instead of just fixing issues as they are discovered?  And that
applies to all services - someone needs to run them and they should not
make their system any easier to crack beyond adding passwords that might
be guessed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com