Madwifi help needed

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:07:13 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> writes:
> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ?
>
> Either way, I just got dozens of lines of 'Invalid ESSID line' messages.

What is in your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf?  It sounds
like some quoting in the file might be broken.  (Remember to edit the
password, or chose another one once things are working.)

> What am I doing wrong?

Probably something very minor.  I've been running ath0 with
wpa_supplicant and WPA2 since FC5 days.  If you edit the rc files to
start wpa_supplicant before the networking you can even bring up ath0
automatically at boot time. (Which is how I have things set up.)

The one caveat with wpa_supplicant is it doesn't behave well if more
than one network choice is listed in wpa_supplicant.conf.  This is
even if you give your preferred network a huge priority boost.  I
found the only way to keep wpa_supplicant from periodically hunting
(and freezing the net) is to have several wpa_supplicant.conf files
with one choice each and to swap them if I ever want to latch onto a
different network.

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html