I love IP Tables....

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 29 19:48:59 UTC 2007

David G. Miller wrote:

>> So if you still think a 70-year-old woman with white hair who wants to
>> send and email to her niece living in another city is resposible of
>> not-knowing about viruses and malware...good for you.

> I've used th analogy of cars when discussing this subject.  It actually
> fits fairly well.

The piece that doesn't fit is the cost of fixing problems that are
discovered after distribution.  Copying bits around is pretty cheap
compared to welding on some new iron.

> For computers that means either running and learning how to secure an OS
> such as Linux or *BSD or, if they run Windows, installing a decent
> anti-virus program and running a firewall.  I spend a couple minutes a
> day verifying that chkrootkit didn't find anything malicious and
> logwatch is just reporting nominal stuff.  For Windows boxes it's even
> easier since anti-virus products like Norton scan the system at start-up
> and then actively scan incoming e-mail, etc.  I don't think that's too
> much to ask.

Are there any Chinese users here that can comment on this:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2814&rss
as an example of how third party products work? (It's a report that
Symantic AV recently deleted system files on Simplified Chinese XP SP2
and prevented them from booting).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com