Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem (NVidia and blank screen during install.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed May 30 11:11:19 UTC 2007

sizo nsibande wrote:
>> > Probably the card is too recent to have successful Open Source support
>> > for the driver. NVidia does not release specifications and/or source
>> > code to allow decent support for their products.
>
> I don't think that this is the issue as I have a Nvidia 6600GT and FC6
> supports it just fine.

Thanks for the info. He should be fine after the initial installation
then. The statement regarding FC4 installed in GUI mode fine makes the
newer hardware possibility less likely.

> It could be that your machines power management is interfering with
> the install process 'somehow', what usually works best "as I too with
> my card have had such a problem" is when your distroe boots up and
> lists a number of options before you hit enter to install, try first
> to install the system on text mode = linux text, if this still has
> issues try: linux noapic acpi=off or just linux noapic. This has
> usually worked just fine with me on more than just one series of
> Nvidia cards.

So the GUI installation mode did not work for you either?

I would suggest using the graphics installer since the text installer
has been neglected in features compared to the GUI installer. I used to
use the text installer until I noted such a difference between the two
installers.

xdriver=<driver> works better since at least you have the graphics
installer available vs. the text installer mode.

Jim