terminal services on FC6

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed May 30 13:03:46 UTC 2007

azeem ahmad wrote:
> hi list
> i have a FC6 box which has 1 GB RAM and two 1 GHz XEON Processors. i
> want to give a remote desktop to about 40 clients simaltaneously.
> but notice that its not like vnc which shares a single desktop, rather i
> want to give every user which logs in a new personal desktop which is
> not shared with other users. (may be just like windows terminal services)
>
> is there any such software which can be used for this purpose?
>
> can the above mentioned HArdware support about 40 simal;taneous user
> connections???
Checkout the LTSP linux terminal server project. http://www.ltsp.org/
or for the educational slant: http://www.k12ltsp.org/

People have been doing what you want on much older hardware for many
years. Even nicer is the network pxeboot/tftp loading and running on a
machine without having to perform an install on the remote machine.

I think it would depend a bit on the types of applications the users
will be using {eg scientific calculations might mean only a few people
could be useful at once, whereas text or spreadsheet activity might work
fine for that number of users}. From memory, good network connectivity
is essential {dual gigabit might be nice}.

DaveT.