Get console output

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed May 30 13:29:20 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:
> Quick question, is Fedora setup to output a session to the console port
> by default?  I want to manage all our Fedora servers through a new
> console server and haven't had a need to do this before.  If not, how do
> I set it up to do so?
If you mean serial port, I have done this when trying to capture boot
issues to send for a bugzilla report. It isn't on by default. There is
an tldp howto for serial console. You can go the whole hog and allow
grub to provide menu across the serial console, or just the kernel boot
onwards.

Change /boot/grub/grub.conf: by appending

kernel /vmlinuzxxxxxx yyy zzz console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

You can also use 38400, however, I found 115200 to be unreliable.

minicom can be used on another machine to read the serial data.

DaveT.