Dependency problem (faad2) with ffmpeg-libs

Jeroen Lankheet admin1 at lankheet.com
Wed May 30 19:09:12 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 16:26 +0200, Jeroen Lankheet wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't update my FC6 machine anymore because yum complains about:
>>
>> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>> ---> Package ffmpeg-libs.i386 0:0.4.9-0.37.20070503.lvn6 set to be updated
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: faad2 < 2.5 for package: ffmpeg-libs
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 < 2.5 is needed by package ffmpeg-libs
>>
>> after doing a yum update.
>> First of all, yum also rejects updates that are not depending on this
>> error, I think that's a nasty feature 'we' should get rid of.
>> So how can this be fixed?
>>
>> I have installed the faad2-2.5-7.fc6.at rpm
>>

> Usually mixing between the repos is considered not a good thing. I fixed
> the flv file playback stuttering using only the ffmpeg files from
> Freshrpms, then I locked them down. Hard! Ric

Unfortunately, yumex did not grasp any of this.

Okay, I now changed the atrpms faad2 into the livna faad2. I removed the
first mentioned with a rpm -e --nodeps faad2 and yum install faad2. The
following lines come up:

/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: Multiple same
specifications for /usr/lib/vlc/codec/libdmo_plugin.so.
/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: Multiple same
specifications for /usr/lib/vlc/codec/librealaudio_plugin.so.

And yes, the line "Error: Missing Dependency: faad2 < 2.5 is needed by
package ffmpeg-libs" is still there (while I'm singing the
Fedora-Multimedia blues...)
So what's this multiple same specifications all about, and does it have
anything to do with the problem at hand?

Should I maybe start all over again installing all this multi-media
stuff (it's still a disaster anyway...)?

Thanks,
Jeroen.