send e-mail without use sendmail

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 1 00:17:44 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dario Lesca wrote:
>> I'm looking for a line command utility (MTA) which send an email direct
>> to a SMTP external server.
>>
>> if I use: "echo bye|mutt -s bye user at dom.it"
>>
>> the message is send to local sendmail, then sendmail send it to mx
>> record dom.it, but dom.it refuse me for security and anti-spam reason.
>>
>> I'm looking for a command which send my message direct to my provider,
>> like evolution or Thunderbird do.
>
> You don't need to stop using sendmail for that, just configure it to do
> what you want.  Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc where it says:
>
> dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
> dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
> dnl #
> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl

This is the "correct" way to do it.

In a later email, Les, you recommend masquerading. This will probably
work for Dario, but it has the disadvantage that it only works if
there's a one-one mapping: if debian at here is the same as
debian at westnet.com.au, my Internat Access Provider.

In my case that's not so, and if debian at westnet.com.au does exist, then
it's certainly not me.

--