send e-mail without use sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:21:51 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

>>> In my case that's not so, and if debian at westnet.com.au does exist,
>>> then it's certainly not me.
>>
>> Masquarading is mostly to give a legal qualified host name for
>> machines that don't have one.  If you need some other From: address,
>> put it on the message yourself or configure your mail client to do it
>> instead of taking the default.
>>

> which gets back to the original problem:)
>
> Dario's probably not the only one who's going to read this thread to
> answer the question, it's been asked before.

To send mail you just need a legal From: address.  To get replies back
it has to be the right one for you.  The same answer won't work for
everyone.  For some, the right way may be to get your own domain name
and have dns correctly point to your machine, for others it will be to
have it delivered to some unrelated place.  A gmail.com address works
for me on the receiving side but I can send through my ISP's relay or a
work machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com