Configuring NVidia 8600GT for a proper 1920x1080 over HDMI

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 4 01:47:52 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 12:22 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> You can try xvidtune. A normally try to find an option to adjust
>> picture size on the TV/monitor, but if there isn't one, you can
>> tweak the X settings.
>
> It can be a dangerous little bastard if not used correctly. I blew the
> crap out of a perfectly FINE multisync once using xvidtune not knowing
> exactly how far to not push things. ;) Ric

True - is is one of the few cases where software can damage
hardware. Though this is not really a problem with modern hardware,
as just about all modern monitors will blank, possible displaying an
out of sync or out of range message instead of self-destructing. I
would be very surprised if a TV being used as a monitor would suffer
from this. (Besides, LCD TVs do not have flyback(sp) transformers...)

Then again, I can remember interesting things happening when
connecting CGA monitors to monochrome cards. (Or was it the other
way around?) Why did they use DB15 connectors for both, with pinouts
that let you do this? Then again, I also remember using a 16 line x
32 character terminal using a TV as the display. And now we are back
to using TVs as display devices... :-)

Mikkel