answer

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Sun Nov 4 23:20:48 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 11:05 -0500, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007 9:20:32 am Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Jim Cornette wrote:
> > > Software successfully updated. So pup posted on a pop up screen a minute
> > > ago.
> >
> > For those of you living in the US, remember that
> > daylight-savings-time ended at 2:00 am, so adjust your clocks
> > accordingly. Also, if you have a dual boot system, make you are
> > probably going to want to boot in Windows first if you have it set
> > to auto-adjust. Otherwise, it will adjust even if your Linux system
> > has already adjusted the hardware clock. Is there a way to have the
> > hardware clock set to UTC and still have Windows display the correct
> > local time?
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> Mikkel:
> Rather than installing the Windows CD on your system, why not make a sun dial
> out of it?

All seriousness aside...

I don't use Windows that often, but what I do is this:

- Set the HW clock to UTC.
- Set the Windows time zone to UTC.
- Set the clock in Windows to not auto-adjust on time changes.  You have
to do this for every user!

Then the Windows time display shows UTC, and Windows leaves your HW
clock set to UTC.

- If I'm booted in Windows and I need to know the local time, I look at
my watch.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences