[OT] Digital camara

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 5 10:37:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 18:56 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> It can focus through glass, which I think compact cameras cannot.

Some can.  My Canon PowerShot A520 can, it's got through the lens
focussing using the image *AND* infra red assist.  The latter being
something you can turn off, and probably want to, to photograph through
glass.

'tis only a compact, and generally fully automatic, but has manual
overrides for most things.  If it weren't for the costs of film
processing, and the delays, I'd much prefer to keep on using my 35 mm
SLR, but this one is quite nice for a digital compact.  The biggest
bugbear, for me, is the delays in turning on, and after you press the
shutter.  I cannot take candid shots with it, nor any other type of spur
of the moment shot.

I can use it with Linux, it's actually less of a pain than plugging the
camera in to Windows.  But the USB connection is not using the camera as
a plugged in USB drive, it uses one of the transfer protocols.  I found
it much quicker and convenient to pull the SD card out and plug the card
into my computer.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386