downloading fc7 updates manually?

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:58:23 UTC 2007

Dave Burns <tburns <at> hawaii.edu> writes:

> I'd like to download all the rpms of security updates to fc7 since the
> release. I will be using a machine running fc6, so "yum -y update"
> won't actually do it.

Although I have not tried this you could create a script that gets a
list of the rpms that are security related by including a line such as :

curl
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/date.html
|grep SECURITY > rpm_seclist.out

(all on one line of course!)

This file will then have lines that show the rpms related to security updates.

You could then extract the rpm files from this list, and send them to a command
to download just these into your /var/yum/cache/updates/packages directory
and then if you wished you would also extract the the list of files
and make a yum -y update command line appended with your list of packages
to update which matches the list of rpms you have just downloaded.

Alternatively you could create the list with the initial curl command
and then just make a yum command which would update only these packages
and in the process the rpms will be left in the cache provided the keepcache
parameter is set to 1 in the yum.conf file.

I guess it would not be too hard to make a bash script to do this?