Asus p4p800 deluxe BROKEN INSTALL on FC5- FC6-FC7

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Mon Nov 5 16:19:02 UTC 2007

ipggi wrote:
> I have an Asus P4P800, people online over the years have suggested all
> kinds of boot tinkering and software changes. None of them ever work.
>
> The ONLY way you are going to get this board to work with Fedora is
> to change a BIOS setting.
>
> In your BIOS goto ..
>
> Main > IDE Configuration > Onboard IDE Operate Mode
>
> Change it from Enhanced Mode to Compatible Mode.
>
> After you have installed Fedora you can return it back to Enhance
> mode.

Bringing back this thread. This was the solution 4 years ago and it did
work for Fedora 3, but subsequent  versions of Fedora, until recently,
have installed  using SATA mode. Fedora 4 or 5 installs without
problems. Fixing fstab is just a pain in the azz after using
compatibility mode.  I know  RHEL 4 does install without problems but
Cent0S 5 does not and I assume that means RHEL 5 will not.  I have found
that Suse 10.3 also works and  the rt2x00 driver is activated too, but I
found the network so slow that it become unusable. Besides, who wants to
use Suse especially after they signed that stupid agreement with MS.
Since I had to switch back to a hard drive sitting on my desk running
XP.  I find this whole process to be  ridiculous at best.  Why fix
something that HAD a  bug  filed in bugzilla years ago and now doesn't
work anymore. It is embarrassing to even be dealing with this problem
now and you can EASILY see why people stay with windows. I personally
had to and I work as a Linux Admin. full time. Can I probably get it to
work? Yes. Do I want to use a work around 3 years after the problem was
resolved through official channels? No.