[OT] Looking for a notebook

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Nov 6 19:58:55 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:
> Joe Tseng wrote:
>> I've been asked to look for notebooks for my office that have built-in
>> serial ports.  We've already used USB-to-serial adapters and port
>> multipliers with mixed success; we are kind of leery of using PCMCIA
>> serial ports.  And we'd like to use these notebooks on the go so docks
>> are out of the question.  Can I get the big OEMs to sell me a few of
>> these or am I out of luck with them?
>
> Wow, with /serial/ ports?  Doh.  I don't know, I would suspect the
> manufacturers don't make many with serial ports any more.  You might get
> lucky.  My USB to Serial adapter works perfectly every time.  Are you
> needing more than one serial port on the notebook?

You just have to be careful about the adapter you use. Not all of
them support the RS-232 control lines, and a lot of applications
require them. Serial ports are still widely used by control
equipment. (Building lighting controllers, PLCs alarm controls, etc.)
I picked up an Itronix T5200 for these applications, because it can
survive abuse better then a laptop. (It is even extremely water
resistant - 3" rain/hour.)

Mikkel