what happened to my drawing

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 6 20:37:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 16:07 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> Les wrote:
> > HI, everyone,
> > 	I had a drawing I created in OO draw, and wanted to edit it.  I opened
> > it, made the changes, then saved it.  I was talking to my wife during
> > this process, and a message window came up saying that some bits might
> > not be saved in the PNG format.  I clicked OK, and closed the
> > application after the save.
> > 	Later I came back to work on it, and the drawing had a size of 0.
>
> You really have to pay attention when managing files with OOo, because
> it's very easy to shoot yourself in the foot. I've done it several times.
>
> However, there is no way, as far as I know, to get that message when
> creating a PNG file. Are you sure that's what happened?
>
> Draw should have saved (or prompted you to save) your work as an ODF
> file (e.g. "drawing.odg"). Have you checked for that? It also has a
> nasty habit of saving files in unexpected places. So, it's probably
> worth a complete search of your home directory.
>
> Something like
>
> $ locate *.odg
>
> or
>
> $ find ~ -name '*.odg'
>
> should do it.
>
> > ... Where would I invoke OO draw directly?
>
> The Fedora 7 OOo packages don't create a desktop icon or menu item for
> Draw. You can start any OOo app from any other OOo app, so you can
> always use the menu or panel to start OOo Writer, then do File > New >
> Drawing, to open Draw.
>
> If you want to create a menu or launcher for Draw, you can use the
> command "which oodraw" to locate the startup file, which for f7 should
> be /usr/bin/oodraw.

Thanks, Joe, This is the piece I was missing.  I'll set that up now.
The drawing was a ".png" file and I don't remember how I saved it that
way, but that was done to allow me to put it on a server for a web
application in HTML.  Anyway, with your tip I should be able to get back
to basics.  For what it is worth, I downloaded the image from my web
app, then converted it and then edited it, cropped it and reinstalled
it.  Took three applications, Gimp, draw, and snapshot to get what I
wanted.  And then the modifications don't quite match the original, but
at least it is technically correct which is the most important thing for
logical diagrams.

I think I need to find an easier way.

Regards,
Les H