Please 'leak' Fedora 8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Nov 6 23:23:47 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 14:59 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> It comes down to money for both of us. I know I can get Cable TV
>> plus Internet at blazing speed and I think you can too. But here the
>> DSL which is 8.5 days faster than your serial modem, costs me $14.95 a
>> month. If I was single I would have no further cost because I would
>> learn to do my own SMTP. But alas my wife wants us to maintain the
>> Zianet address that we are known for.
>>
>>     The Cable stuff is $20.00/mo for basic TV + $20.00/mo for 6 months
>> and then then $44.00/mo thereafter. So it runs $64.00/mo in the long
>> run. I expect they have about the same there.
>>
>>     So I just wait a bit longer and like the sound of money in my
>> account :-)
>>

> One thing I learnt, *long* ago, was never get attached to an ISP derived
> mail or website address.  They have you over a barrel if you want to
> keep it.  Not to mention that you're stuffed if they go out of business
> or get bought out.
>
> If you like the idea of a permanent address, never having to tell
> friends to contact you on a new one, etc., then register your own domain
> name, and pick any company that you like to host your mail (and any
> other services you want).  And if they begin to suck, you can pick up
> your bat and ball and go somewhere else, and still use your own domain
> name and e-mail addresses.
>
> It's well worth it, there's any number of hosting services that are
> reasonably priced.  And, as their business is purely hosting, they can
> be a lot better at it than ISPs, many of whom just care about getting
> money off you to provide a connection to the internet.
>
> You could even set up a blog...  ;-)

    Well, I have been thinking that I already have a google mail that I
use very little but it is so good it would do as a full time email
system. I had k5di.com registered to my then static ip number but then
zianet was sold and my static ip went away.

    But my wife of 52 years has gone along with my fooling around with
SMTP and other things and it just didn't work out right. So we are here
and happy.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User