fsck -c usage question

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Wed Nov 7 19:13:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 13:59 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Mark C. Allman wrote:

> >> tune2fs -c 21 /dev/xxx
> >>
> >> This is what I have on my laptop, it is set to fsck after 21 mounts (I
> >> think 21 is pretty typical setup for a lot of distros like Ubuntu (or
> >> gentoo in my case)  change the 21 to suit your needs that should
> >> eliminate the need for the setup you have.
> >>
> > Not really "eliminate."  I want to control when the fsck is run.  I
> > don't want to be stalled on a reboot waiting for fsck to complete.  I
> > only want to run it, say, on an evening when I know I have time.  Also,
> > I don't see where it says that a bad block check is run.  it may be
> > documented in the man page right in front of me, but I don't see it.
> > This isn't usually what fsck does by default.  If I don't run the bad
> > block check (with the -c switch) then what I'm doing now runs fine.
> >
> > But to my original question: why doesn't what I'm doing work?  Shouldn't
> > it?  That's what I'm asking: why is adding the bad block check causing a
> > problem?
> >
> > -- Mark C, Allman, PMP
> > -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> > -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
> >
> > BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution
> >

> Well, that's a really good question.  I've done the bad block check and
> never had this problem before.  You don't state in the OP that you've
> tried this from a rescue session to see what the bad blocks check
> displays from there.  That might give you a hint perhaps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rescue session."  Do you mean booting
from a rescue disk?  Hadn't tried that.

BTW, that brings up something else strange.  I booted from the rescue
disk so I could delete the /forcefsck and /fsckoptions files.  What the
rescue disk asked for was where the Fedora 7 CD images were (hard disk,
HTTP, FTP, CD-ROM, etc.) for repair.  I hadn't seen that before.  I gave
it a FTP site to go get images/stage2.<something I can't remember> and
got to the repair shell prompt.  Just strange.  Usually after the
keyboard, networking on/off, and "do you want to mount existing Fedora
filesystems" prompts, anaconda kicks off and I get to the repair shell
prompt.